Effective Upon: October 1, 2018
Last updated: December 6, 2018
We at the International Women’s Forum and the Leadership Foundation (“IWF,” “we,” “us,” or “our”) are strongly committed to transparency, and we want you (“you” or “your”) to understand how we collect, use, share and protect your personal information, as well as how you can manage the personal information we collect. This Privacy Notice applies to your interactions through use of our website, app, services and features, either online or offline.
By using our website, app, services or features, you are accepting the terms of this Privacy Notice. If you do not agree to the terms of this Privacy Notice, please do not use our website, app, services or features. If you do not understand, or if you have questions about, this Privacy Notice, please contact us before using, or continuing to use, our website, app, services or features.
We reserve the right to change our Privacy Notice from time to time by posting the changes here. We will also provide you with notice by prominently posting on our website, via email or both, if we make any changes to this Privacy Notice that materially affect your rights. Your use of our website, app, services or features after we have made changes to our Privacy Notice will mean that you have accepted those changes.
Please click on the following sections to learn more about our Privacy Notice.
1. TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
5. WHERE WE TRANSFER INFORMATION
9. YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
10. THIRD PARTY WEBSITE AND APPS
1. TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect two basic types of information from you when you use or interact with our website, app, services or features: personal information and non-personal information.
1) Personal information includes all information that relates to you personally and either identifies or may be used to identify, you personally. We may collect the following types of personal information from you depending on how you interact with us or use or interact with our website, app, services or features, including your:
• Contact Information. Name, email address, physical address, phone number, government identification, and other contact information.
• Payment and Billing Information. Credit card number, banking information and billing and shipping address.
• Demographic Information. Employer, occupational title, educational background, date of birth, race, ethnicity and religion.
• Event Information. Registration information related to your attendance at our sponsored events or forums, including scheduling information, dietary restrictions and accessibility requests.
2) Non-personal information includes information that does not personally identify you (collectively, “non-personal information”).
2. HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
We need to collect personal information from you in order to provide you with our website, app, services and features, as well as to improve your experience. You may provide us with personal information in several ways, including, for example, when you:
• Register for an account or user profile;
• Provide payment information;
• Use our website, app, services or features;
• Register or apply for a program, event or forum we sponsor;
• Provide your social media information;
• Upload content to our website or app;
• Sign up to receive alerts or other information from us;
• Ask for member service, support or other assistance;
• Participate in events or other forums, or use of our online forum; or
• Interact with us in any other way, including through our website or app.
Social Media Platforms
• Remind us who you are and to find your account information in our database when you access a website, app, service or feature so you do not need to log in at every visit, which helps us to provide you with services tailored to your specific needs and interest;
• Determine the browser you are using so the website, app, services and features work properly;
• Assist us with sending you notifications;
• Generate analytics regarding your use of our website or app; and
• Estimate our audience size by determining whether your visit is your first.
• If you delete your cookies or if you set your browser or device to decline these technologies, some services or features may not function properly.
Offline Interactions and Other Sources
3. HOW WE USE INFORMATION
We use your personal information to:
• facilitate member networking and communication;
• provide you with our website, app, services and features;
• permit you to update, edit, and manage your account or user profile;
• process and solicit donations;
• diagnose problems, analyze trends, and assess our performances;
• improve our operations, services and features;
• better understand the preferences of our members;
• tailor our services to our members;
• research and develop new services and features;
• provide you with, and improve, relevant marketing or offers from us;
• respond to legally binding requests from law enforcement, regulatory authorities or other third parties;
• defend, protect or enforce our rights or applicable terms of service;
• to prevent fraud or the recurrence of fraud;
• assist in the event of an emergency; and
• comply with applicable law.
There are a number of bases in data protection law that permit us to use your personal information for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice, including that:
• You have provided your consent to us using your personal information for that purpose;
• We need to use your personal information in order to provide our website, app, services or features to you;
• We need to comply with a legal obligation, including for example, responding to government or law enforcement information requests; and/or
• The processing is necessary for the purpose of our legitimate interests, provided we have balanced these against your rights and interests.
Our legitimate interests to use your personal information include:
• To ensure effective administration and management of your relationship with us;
• To understand how our members use our website, app, services and features;
• To carry out research and analysis on what services or features our members want or how they would like us to improve our services or features;
• To understand how our members use the website, app, services and features, and identify any issues in how the website, app, services and features are used and how we can improve the usage experience of our members;
• To tell our members about the various services and features we can offer;
• To understand and respond to member feedback;
• To better tailor and personalize the website and app, and any promotions and benefits that we offer to our members;
• To ensure we comply with applicable regulations and our policies; and
• To manage any disputes and take legal or other professional advice.
We may retain your information for as long as we have a business need to do so. After your membership expires, we may retain your information for a reasonable amount of time for backup, archival, accounting and/or audit purposes. We may use non-personal information for any legitimate business purpose. We may retain non-personal information for as long as we have a business need to do so.
4. HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
Except as disclosed in this Privacy Notice, we do not share your personal information with any companies not part of IWF or its related entities. In no event will we sell or rent your personal information as part of a member list or similar transaction. We may use and share your personal information with affiliated and non-affiliated organizations as follows:
|Third Party Recipient||Purpose of Disclosure||Legal Basis for Processing|
|Credit card issuers in order to receive donation or obtain payment from you||
|IT service providers including IT platform providers and website analytics service providers in order to provide our services and features to you and to understand how you use our services and features and to improve our operations||
|Government, regulatory and law enforcement agencies in order to meet our legal obligations, including those necessary to host our events||
We may also transfer or assign your personal information to third parties as a result of, or in connection with, a sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of assets, bankruptcy, reorganization, or liquidation. If we are involved in defending a legal claim, we may disclose information about you that is relevant to the claim to third parties as a result of, or in connection with, the associated legal proceedings.
5. WHERE WE TRANSFER INFORMATION
As we offer our services and features in many locations globally, we may transfer your personal information to or from these locations for the purposes of providing you services. The exact location of where your personal data will be transferred depends on the locations where you receive a service. Transfers are made either as they are necessary for the performance of a contract to which you will be a party, or for pre-contractual measures. Alternatively, adequacy of data protection is ensured by standard data protection clauses that we have in place with the relevant recipient. A copy of these standard data protection clauses may be requested by contacting us. In addition, the information we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored by, IT vendors who operate on our behalf, particularly to those located in the United States. We also transfer information to marketing applications and marketing service providers. These providers are primarily located in the United States. Adequacy of data protection is instead ensured by standard data protection clauses we have in place with that third party. A copy may be requested by contacting us.
6. HOW WE PROTECT INFORMATION
We are concerned about ensuring the security of your personal information. We exercise great care in providing secure transmission of your information from your equipment to our servers. We store personal information that we have collected in secure operating environments. Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we disclose your personal information to you. We try our best to safeguard your personal information once we receive it, but please understand that no transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you suspect an unauthorized use or security breach of your information, please contact us as soon as possible.
7. CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
Our website, app, services and features are not for children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children. If you think we have received personal information from children under the age of 13, please contact us immediately.
8. YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS
You have, in accordance with applicable data protection laws, the following rights regarding our handling of your personal information:
• Right of access: You may have the right to request a copy of the personal information we have about you and to request supporting information explaining how the personal information is used.
• Right of rectification: You may have the right to request that we rectify inaccurate personal information about you.
• Right of erasure: You may have the right to request that we erase personal information about you.
• Right to restrict processing: In some situations, you may have the right to request that we do not use the personal information you have provided (for example, if you believe it to be inaccurate).
• Right to data portability: You may have the right to receive certain of your personal information in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and to transmit such information to another controller.
• Right to withdraw consent: Where we process your personal information based on consent, you have the right to withdraw consent at any time. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of the processing based on consent before its withdrawal. Furthermore, even in case of a withdrawal, we may continue to use your personal information as permitted or required by law.
• Right to object: Where we are processing your personal information based on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) you may challenge this. However, we may be entitled to continue processing your information based on our legitimate interests or where relevant to legal claims. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
Please contact us if you would like to exercise any of these rights or in case you should have any concerns about how we process your personal information. You are also free to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority, should you feel that we process your personal information in a way that is against applicable law.
9. YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
We do not share your personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes without your consent. California residents under 18 years old, in certain circumstances, may request and obtain removal of personal information or content about you and posted on our website or app. Please be mindful that this would not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information posted on our website or app by you. To make any request pursuant to California privacy law, please contact us.
10. THIRD PARTY WEBSITES AND APPS
The website, app, services or features may contain links to other websites or apps operated by third parties. Please be advised that the practices described in this Privacy Notice do not apply to information gathered through these third party websites and apps. We have no control over, and are not responsible for, the actions and privacy policies of third parties and other websites and apps.
11. HOW TO CONTACT US
If you have questions, comments, or suggestions, you can always contact us the following ways. We may need to verify your identity before assisting with your request.
• Email [email protected]
• Phone +1 202-387-1010
Mail The International Women’s Forum 1155 15th St NW, Washington DC 20005